Followers

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hana Professional 1" Flat Iron Review

A few weeks ago Brian from the website misikko.com contacted me to see if I would be interested in reviewing a flat iron.  So I thought that would be cool to do, I'm not really a hair person (I make stuff up as I go along when it comes to my hair haha) but I'm up for anything that will make it look healthier.  I also told him that I believe in giving an honest review, whether good or bad and he replied something along the lines of, "Great!  I think you'll really like our products."  So that seemed good to me.

I was not expecting what came in the mail.  I know the boxes that flat irons come in are a little smaller than shoebox size, this box that came was HUGE!  And this is what it looked like when I opened it up (I have most of the stuff labeled that came with it)
It also came with one of those turban towels that you wrap your hair up in with "Hana" embroidered on it, 2 ELF cosmetic products, and some papers.
This thing was insane!  I've never gotten a package that looks so pretty before (and please, if you order from them and it does not come looking like this, let me know so I can add that to this review!).  Everything was so adorably wrapped, I loved it!

The flat iron I currently use is a good flat iron, one of my hairdresser friends had recommended it to me.  I have an InfraShine Ceramic 1" flat iron, which interestingly enough, the misikko website also sells.  I haven't had any issues with mine, I've had it for about 2 1/2 years and it's been great.  It retails on their website for $130 (but it says it's on sale for $99, which I don't know if they're a website that has perpetual sales or not).  So here's what mine now looks like:


It heats up to 400 degrees and it heats up very quickly.  The only issue I've had is that sometimes it doesn't glide through my hair super nicely, but I still like it.

The Hana Professional Hair Straightener looks like this:



This one heats up to 450 degrees (which I'm presuming is bad for your hair, but I know some people like them to be really hot like that) and it heats up just as quickly as the InfraShine one does.  This flat iron does glide through my hair a little more smoothly so I don't get clamp marks, but it's not a significant difference.  

Here's what my hair looks like after blowdrying, no products added
See all of my frizzy broken hairs?

And after using the shine shield and Hana flat iron
Much better.

So the flat iron is good, it retails on their website for $204.99 but it says it's on sale for $119.98 (again, this may be a site where all of their products are ALWAYS on sale).  It comes with a 2 year warranty, a heat resistant mat and pouch.  The website says it's safe on damp hair but all of the papers that came with it said to use on dry hair only, as it can really damage wet hair.  Again, I really don't know anything about hair so I don't know if that's true or not.  The papers also come with a guide as to what temperature to use the flat iron depending on your hair texture.  It's also supposed to be able to curl your hair but I am not cool enough to do that, I just can't figure it out so I use my curling iron haha.

But I have to say that the Hana Shine Shield Thermal Protectant is AMAZING!  I stinkin love this stuff.  I put it in my hair when it was wet one day and immediately my hair felt nicer.  I'm not sure if it makes my hair any shinier but it feels so much better!  And I think I must also add that I put kind of a lot in my hair at one time and it did not make my hair look greasy.  Which is awesome.
It's a little pricey (for me at least) though.  It's on sale for $30 for a 6oz container (mine is a 2oz. container) but I would imagine it would last for a VERY long time.

The Misikko website also sells blowdriers, that Moroccan Oil Hair stuff that everyone is going crazy for, Chi Hair Straighters (I worked in a spa in New York for a while and this is the brand they sold), Model in a Bottle makeup setting spray, and so on.  

So all in all would I recommend this flat iron??  Sure.  If you want to spend $120 for one, it's great.  Do I think there are comparable flat irons out there for less money?  Probably.  I think a 2 year warranty is a great thing to have.  I mean, I bought a $40 flat iron from Sally's before the InfraShine and it died after like 6 months or something.  So was that a waste of money?  Absolutely.  It glides a little better through my hair and heats up to a higher temperature than my InfraShine but other than that, I would say it's necessarily any better.  

I hope this helps someone!  I know it doesn't answer that many questions because I don't know a whole lot about hair but I hope it answers some!!

*I was sent this stuff for free but I sincerely believe in giving honest reviews, I would never want you to spend money on something that I completely hated!

9 comments:

  1. Ugh, this reminds me I still have to review mine. Fuuuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous that your hair before ANY styling looks so awesome! You don't even need to straiten it! Very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and goodness I wish my hair looked like yours before doing anything!! I have naturally wavy/curly hair so it turns into a frizzy mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. T oo bad I just purchased a flat iron (and thre away the receipt)! DARN. You have amazing hair, Sonja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair is so pretty Sonja! I think I will hae to give this one a go. I know what you mean about frizzy ends!
    I love your blog! Would you like to follow eachother?
    ♥ Maria
    www.avenuemaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! My hair is a little frizzy, I do think it would drive me crazy if I didn't flat iron or curl it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Looks like a high quality product you have, I do love professional hair tools. I own a karmin flat iron which is also professional and it sure beats cheap flat irons, HUGE difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dongguan Hongsen Hairdressing Equipment Technology CO., LTD. (The EX Hongsen Electronic factory) is a high-tech company which integrates R&D, design, production, and marketing in the field of private label hair styling tools. hairstylingtools.net

    ReplyDelete