Followers

Friday, May 25, 2012

Navy blue and gold (as requested by Erika)

The other day I asked for suggestions for looks to do and a follower, Erika, said she's graduating on Tuesday (congratulations, by the way!) and wanted to see a look using navy blue and gold.  Normally these aren't colors I'd necessarily pair together but I decided to give it a go!  I hope you like what I came up with!

I blended the gold into the blue, then back into the gold just below my brow bone to tie it together.


What I used:
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil "Milk"
Gold- Urban Decay "Half Baked"
Navy- Ingot 428 P
Makeup Geek "Corrupt" (black to darken outer v)
Highlight- Urban Decay "Bootycall"
L'oreal Lineur Intense Carbon Black liquid liner
Revlon Photoready 3D volume mascara "Blackest Black"

I think it was a nice smokey look with the unexpected pop of gold when I looked down.  I wanted gold to be as much a part of this look as the blue.  I hope you like this look Erika!  You'll have to send me pictures of what you end up doing!!

And on an unrelated note, I just wanted to post a couple things that fellow bloggers have said recently.  Yesterday Makeup Geek shared the picture of my purple and coral look on their facebook page and there was one girl on there who said, "It's cool but for drag queens.  This is way too much makeup unless you're a performer."  Now everyone is entitled to their opinions but I know this was meant as an insult (which I don't understand, honestly, if you don't like something, don't wear it yourself.  There's no need to go around trying to make people feel bad).  Unfortunately for her, this did not offend me.  I wish that look was good enough to be worn by drag queens.  

I told a few of my blogger friends about the comment and this is what they had to say, which I think is important. 
"I don't understand women using "It looks like a drag queen." or "It looks like something a drag queen would wear" as an insult. That's not an insult honey, that's a compliment. Drag Queens are FIERCE creatures and there is nothing shameful about what they do or what they look like. It's ignorant to think that you can use that as an insult to offend someone and their makeup. Really, get over yourself and grow up. I'm not talking about me and my makeup (which I would be HONORED if a Drag Queen wore!), but a friend (actually a few of them) who have been told this as a means to be insulted. And the women who toss around this supposed insult have to be the most cowardly, ignorant, and unclassy "women" I have ever seen. The internet sure does bring out the stupid in people in the worst way." -Dawn from Makeup by Siryn 
"As someone who gets called a drag queen/transsexual on a regular basis because of my makeup I would like to highlight the two problematic sides to this. A) I have the UTMOST respect for Drag performers. What they do is art, it's amazing and I only wish I could be at that level artistically. This is not an insult to a makeup artist. Period. B) Drag Queens and Transsexuals are NOT one and the same, first of all. Educate yourself. Secondly, equating either of those people with things that you dislike or using their identity as an insult to someone is ignorant, hateful and disgusting. If you do it. Stop. If you don't do it, call people out who do and put a stop to this ridiculous culture of hate in the beauty world. ♥" -Meredith Jessica from Pigments & Palettes
So please, if you're using these terms in a negative way, please stop because being a drag queen is not a negative thing and people need to stop making it seem like it is.

So that's my post for today!!  Thank you as always for checking this out and for supporting me!!

31 comments:

  1. I do agree. If you really love make up, drag queens are the godesses of make up. What they do is awesome, so if someone says it would fit a drag Q, then YAAAY YOU :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. RESPECT! I hope my english is good enough so that I can express what I want to say about you and your reaction to this absurd comment of this woman.
    I totally agree with you that being told that your make up looks like a drag queen is more a compliment than an insult. I hate how people judge other persons by the way they wear their make up or their clothes or just beacause they are different in some kind of way. Individuality is a great thing, and if someone can show his/her individuality in any kind of way this is great and should be supportet! Theres so much mainstream in our world, that people forget that in most cases there's not only wrong or right but several possibilities to develope our owm personalities. This is what people should keep in mind and how we can enhance our charasteristics. If anyone would be like the one next to him life would be really boring. So keep going your way and keep expressing yourself in your way of make up - it's great!

    love cessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone said that looked like a drag queen? That is beautiful - I would totally wear that look out. But I have never been bound by what other people think. I like to consider myself a leader, not a follower. And I have a feeling you are the same? :) Keep doing what you are doing. I love your looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous and I so agree with what those 2 had to say. Drag queens are fierce and awesome and I totally wish I had a quarter of the talent they do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I wonder what that person would say about me & the crap I wear to work everyday! Lol That look was a work of art & I would absolutely wear it anytime, any day. As for drags, I think that's a complete d-head thing to say. I've met a TON of queens & I am ridiculously jealous of their talent & one of my very best friends is aspiring to be a drag queen, so if anyone told me I looked like a drag queen I'd be ecstatic. I think everyone should just do drag-inspired looks and clog up the whole beauty blog universe lol

    As for todays look, flawless as always!! Keep doing what you're doing girl & I hope you're feeling well!! Sending lots of love your way<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. *scratches head* People are morons. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha oh man. first, LOVE the look. those are two colors i also wouldnt necessarily think of using together, but they look great. and LOL at that idiot girl. clearly she lacks some general knowledge about sexual/gender orientation, which is probably needed if you're going to attempt to insult someone. glad you girls set her straight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful look, I really love the little bit of gold under the eyebrow, thats so different and really brings the look together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely look! Uggh what an ignorant comment to make, I totally agree on what a great compliment it would be if a drag queen copied your makeup looks. But the fact that she meant it as an insult is just not on. Hooray to the lovely girls for sticking up for you, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful look! (As always!)And the whole drag queen comment thing is so stupid, drag queens are amazing at what they do, and their art truly is beautiful. Sonja your makeup is gorgeous and so are you!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never seen a look with these colors before! Loving it, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this look and I agree completely with both of the statements from Dawn and Meredith :)Some people are just so very ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This look is great! I have to try it out some day. :) And I completely agree that being drag queen is NOT a bad thing. They are true artists and wear gorgeous makeup.

    Have a nice day! :)

    /Madamnoire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful makeup, as always: P I recently think of navy blue and yellow;)
    As for the comment ... unfortunately the internet is pretty much these cowards, which is fun leaving offensive comments, ob the knowledge that nothing can be done to them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The colors look beautiful with your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the gold and navy look! And regarding the drag queen comment, wow, some people are so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this look its perfect! thanks so much for taking the time to do me this favor i really appreciate it, and your right ive never paired gold and blue together but those are my schools colors and i thought id give it a try :) and ill definitely show you pics and maybe ill post them on my blog. again thank you so much this look was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loooove this look, navy blue and gold juste look amazing together :D
    About the drag queen comments, some people are juste too stupid, don't care about them...
    It's actually the first time I put a comment on your blog, but I check it very often and I really really like your make ups, you're an artist (and you look beautiful :D)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the navy and gold eye-- gorgeous!!

    As for the drag queen comments.... well, maybe it's because I'm 53, but I remember when all women wore eyeliner, lashes, eyeshadow, etc.... even just to go to the grocery store when I was a kid. Seems to me the world was a little more pretty with everyone making an effort...lol. Personally, I find the people who make derogatory comments are just jealous... and usually too lazy to make an effort to look better so they criticize anyone who does, yet they go on about expressing themselves through some other means. To each their own, I say. If they don't want to wear makeup or don't like more colorful looks, it's not like anyone is holding a gun to their heads and making them put it on! What ever happened to "live and let live"-- and "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all??".... some people really need to learn to edit themselves and quit being so judgmental.

    Keeping you in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! I think blue and gold can go well really nice together! I really love your looks, I love me some bright colors and looks myself as well and you're making amazing looks, thank you for beeing such an inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the color combo. Also I agree with ur bloggers on the feedback of the "Insults".. It's actually a compliment to say it's for a drag queen or performers. Anyone can do an everyday neutral eye but to pull off creative looks like you do takes talent, patients and practice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you are gorgeous!!! and yes...its a compliment indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If this is drag queen makeup then you're the prettiest drag queen.
    Honestly, they're just dumb. Bold makeup is much needed to express yourself. And if bold is a drag queen, then the world needs more drag queens. lol Neutral makeup is cake, this, this shows talent. You're an inspiration. (:


    BTW, I usually wouldn't love these colors together but you did this perfectly, and now I have makeup to wear on school spirit days. (my college colors are blue and gold) :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are berautiful. Your eyes are amazing. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A beautiful colour combination. Blue looks amazing with your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. To be perfectly honest, I would rarely wear makeup as bold as the looks you do, I think people at the office would probably walk into a wall, lol. But I love seeing what you come up with and the color combos you use, it really is art! People should think twice before saying something snarky, there is too much negativity in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautifully done. I love these colors.

    ReplyDelete