Followers

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Makeup Geek sunrise look, a neutral look, and a personal update!!

I wanted to use some of the Makeup Geek eyeshadows that I have but haven't really used yet (I have all of them and I promise, once my new Z palette comes and I can have them all out at one time that I'll swatch them for you and review them!).  So I went with a sunrise/sunset look.  



Color Placement:
1- Razzleberry
2- Purple Rain (for crease definition)
3- Mandarine
4- Chickadee
5- Yellow Brick Road
6- Bling
7- Poolside (on waterline over a black liner)













I was pleased with the way this came out.  I'm not usually one to play with colors on my waterline because I think it looks weird on me (I really like it on other people though) but I think it works here.  I kinda tend to steer away from warmer looks too, even though I like the way they look against my eyes, I just don't care for warmer colors on me.

Speaking of not loving warmer colors... you know how the majority of the Naked palette is warm golds and bronzes, I surprisingly like that palette.  However, I decided to get the Naked 2 palette as well!  I've used it a few times and I really prefer the colors in Naked 2, strictly because they're cooler toned than in the original Naked palette.  I didn't really need it but I got it anyways haha.  So here's a look I did with that.



Every once in a while I'm a fan on pretty neutral looks.  This has been the case lately haha.  I couldn't tell you my color placement on this one, all I know is I used Maybelline's Color Tattoo "Tough as Taupe" as a base.  

And now for the personal part of my post.  I went to Duke University yesterday and met with a surgeon there who will be doing the next surgery I will need done, which is a liver surgery to remove the cancer spots from my liver.  At first I wasn't aware the liver surgery was like a big deal, but it is.  It's a delicate area and there are lots of veins and blood vessels in the liver so it's not an easy surgery to do, hence my decision that I need to go somewhere huge to a doctor who only does liver surgery.

I met him yesterday (Dr. Clary, just in case anyone has heard of him) and he gave me some information that scared me a bit, it's not terrible news or anything but I was just hoping for better news.  He wants to remove 70% of my liver, which is a lot but they can remove up to 80% and you'll still be able to live because the liver is the one organ in the body that regenerates itself.  So he can take the 70% because eventually it'll grow back.  Before he does the surgery (which will probably be in July), he's going to basically clot of the vein in the right part of my liver where the cancer is.  What this is supposed to do is make the left side of my liver grow so they'll have more liver to work with.

I have to finish my next two rounds of chemo first and then they'll follow the liver surgery with 6 more rounds of chemo just to make sure it's all cleared up.  The doctor said that with the surgery and everything, 20-30% of people are completely healed of this cancer and they never see it again.  This is the number I was hoping would be higher.  While it's a WAY better number than the number I'm facing without the surgery, I just thought it would be better.  

They also did a surprise CT scan on me yesterday (which burn like a mofo when they put contrast into your veins so they can see everything going on inside) so in a couple of days I will find out the results of the effects the chemotherapy is having on the spots on my liver.  The doctor said that for the most part chemo just holds them to their size, 60% of people have their spots shrink, but the chemo won't cure the cancer.  He said even if the spots shrink so much that you can't see them on the CT scan, if you were to cut the liver apart, you would still find cancer cells in there.  Fingers crossed though that I'm responding positively to the chemo!!!

This is a CT scan machine in case you've never see one.  You lay down on the bed and they put you into the donut hole part and have you hold your breath while they take the pictures of what they need to see.  I felt like a lab rat on the table when they injected the contrast (as they call it, it makes certain parts inside your body visible) into my veins.  It burns!
But I counted on the calender and assuming they do the surgery exactly 8 weeks after the last dose of Avastin (a medicine I'm on that I need to be off of for 8 weeks before and after surgery or I won't heal) then I will be done with treatments and cancer free on November 7th.  This is assuming everything goes perfectly and according to plan.  I know this is a lot more information than you probably wanted to know but it helps me sometimes typing stuff out so I hope you don't mind hearing it haha.

Thank you as always for standing beside me and supporting me!  It really means so so so much to me!  And I just have to say it again, if you know something isn't right in your body, go to the stinkin doctor!!!  Health insurance or not.  Go to the doctor.  Do not wait because if it's something serious, all waiting is doing is giving the disease a chance to progress itself inside your body.  Even if you're embarrassed about whatever problem it may be, go to the doctor!  So please please take my advise and just go to the doctor if you know something isn't right!!  Did I say that enough?  I'm not sure haha.

Thank you again guys!!!!  Love you all!!

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Sonja. You look beautiful as always and I'm rooting for you. I hope everything runs smoothly and you can start the transition into Survivordom soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I love your attitude Sonja! You're so strong :-) As always your looks are amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave and beautiful! Please know you are in my prayers and I am the same way about saying (or typing) what I need to feel better! I still keep a journal and think it keeps me sane! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't vent! Love both of the looks you did. Great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the makeup! You are such a strong person, and I really hope you are doing well. You just have to think positively(like you always do!) and then you will find that you can get the bad stuff over with easier. Good luck with your next round of chemo and the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your Naked 2 palette look - so sultry! I am so glad to hear there is an end in sight! With your positive attitude and a definable goal I know your going to be a-ok in no time :) Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are an incredible inspiration... first of all, you are a strong woman and i admire your courage to go through all of this and keep your head high for your family. i appreciate every word you post, especially since i know chemo is really difficult to deal with. i wanted to tell you that my mom had cancer.... she had several types and i hope and pray that your outcome will be different than hers. i'm glad you caught it early though! her problem is that she kept insisting to get checked but no one would agree to perform the tests until it was too late. i know it's not encouraging but i want you to think of all those who didn't make it and know that you will! you have a loving family and friends and fans that want to make sure you're ok!!! thank you for updating us through this difficult process. i'm amazed by the fact that you're still writing and posting and looking ever so beautiful. as for the makeup- you are a true talent! you should expand and perhaps do other people's makeup... i love the colored eyeliner look on you! it brings out your beautiful eyes. and the fire-y colors are so fierce! wish i had your talent. i wanted to say that you're one of the bloggers that inspired me to start my own blog! it's not even a week old and it's still in the works but i would love it if you checked it out... it's called aforeigntale.blogspot.com i'm trying to include a bunch of different things like makeup, health and fitness, and photography. i'm hoping it will start taking shape soon. best of luck!! we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a courageous and beautiful woman!! keep your head high!!

    also, your makeup is absolutely incredible! im thrilled to say i have all but one of these shadows :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the first look is brilliant on your eye color, makes them pop like POW

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh! ok, love the first look. REALLY love the second because i'm a huge fan of neutrals and obsessed with urban decay, so of course i love it.

    I like that you're keeping us updated. Typing like that can be very cathartic (its a method i've often used myself) and we can all just add to your support system :) The live stats and surgery sound scary, but at least its not worse, like you said. I reckon you can't just be turnin' up a Jack Daniel's bottle anytime soon... :p
    And with the CT, what kind of burning were you talking about? I've only had one CT, and they made me drink this SH*Tton of liquid like an hr or so before that made me feel like i was pissing myself during the whole CT, which was really fun. Sorry it burned!

    I'm glad November seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel! Stay strong! As always, thanks for posting such inspiring looks for makeup n00bs like me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate getting scans with contrast! I had a full MRi of my brain with contrast and it sucked! Three hours in that machine, and I was mildly allergic to the dye so the injection site broke out in hives. Oh the joys of searching for tumors...

    On the brighter side, you have a somewhat definitive date for the end of this! You are inspiring and strong, with the attitude and support to beat this cancer and get back to a healthy and fulfilled life with your family. Everyone who reads your blog knows that you will be just fine. :) Keep your head up girlie, we're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, beautifully blended and awesome color scheme...yout an inspiration girlfreind...as a woman and an artist...take care <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to hear from you again , you are so strong and i admire that , please always keep us updated .
    Both looks are great as usual , iam not into warm colors too .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading your update, and seeing your looks :) you're a star, fingers crossed for you like always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thoughts and wishes with you :)
    you have been an inspiration for me - your strength and your beauty speaks volumes about you!!!
    you are truly the girl next door - an approachable woman who is thoughtful, fun and with amazing endurance!! STAY STRONG x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck! And looking gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl, you are so so brave and so very beautiful! I have only admired you and your blog but I decided to finally leave you a comment to express my support and best wishes to you and your family. Besides a very strong woman you are also really talented with make up and its a real pleasure to visit your blog. I wish to see only good news next time i check it :) Keep your pretty head up and keep smiling! Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy that you keep us updated about the personal stuff, i don't think its too much info, i like it that you share it so we know how you're doing! So thanks for taking the time to do that. You know i'm a sucker for neutrals but you look so good in colours, i love love love your sunrise look. Good luck with everything, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely not too much info, I check regularly to see if you're updated about your treatment--and of course the makeup ;-) I'm preying for you, but I know you don't need it; you're strong and this is just a little bump in the road! Be sure to keep posting & good luck with everything.

    BTW, makeup looks awesome girl<3

    ReplyDelete
  19. This probably sounds weird coming from a stranger, but I wish you all the best and a fast recovery. I've had several family/friends beat cancer and I know you can too! I'm very happy you feel comfortable posting your experience; it's an inspiration to us all. I'm actually going to the doctor this month to have a "suspicious" freckle/mole type thing checked out... You've inspired me not to wait, and you might even save my life because of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck! I hope it all goes well.
    Both of these looks are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just the mention of the contrast dye being injected into your veins makes me feel queesy, lol! I'm glad to hear your feeling well, and I hope your next surgery goes as planned. Your daughter is so lucky to have such a strong woman in her life to look up to! Your hope and outlook is so encouraging! I'm working my way up, and will eventually take your advice and go to the doctor! Its been an embarassingly long time since I've been!

    Your looks are gorgeous as always, and I especially love the neutral one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both looks are beautiful, I really like the neutral one You look glowy :) I love hearing your updates, I will be looking forward to November for the day you can say you kicked cancers butt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everyday I check your blog to see your updates! I've never met you, but I just want you to know that I am rooting for you. Your positive attitude has me saying "What am I complaining about this for?!" to myself all the time! Stay positive and proactive because you are an encouragement to more people than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are in my prayers. I hope all goes well with the surgery. The numbers may not be high...but nothing is impossible for God ! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely love your blog, you are so talented. Keep being so strong, you can and will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your blog. You are truely talented! Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello I am really impressed with this blog! Very clear explanation of issues is given and it is open to everyone. Thanks for sharing this post. When i was also searching for CT Scan Centre in Jayanagar, Bangalore. I got one new center that is Prima Diagnostics. It is excellent centre for CT Scan Centre in Jayanagar, Bangalore. If you are also searching for best diagnostics centre you can visit here. If you want any more info. please go here http://www.primadiagnostics.com/

    ReplyDelete